Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm a Lucky Mama



That is video from a busy mom!

What are you doing for Mother's Day? I only need one thing - breakfast in bed! This hasn't always been easy to get, as Paul is a fisherman and was often gone on Mother's Day for the walleye opener.
When my boys were little, I settled for a cup of coffee and a snuggle, but then they learned how to work the toaster. One year, I was presented with a bagel loaded with peanut butter, cream cheese, jelly AND cinnamon sugar! They were so proud! I ate every bite, with a smile. Now they both can cook, so I'm a lucky mom who gets a good breakfast in bed. Sometimes I get poetry or a musical performance, too.


Tomorrow is Nick's birthday. He will be 14! I can't believe it. I know every woman since Eve has been astonished that their kids grow up, but man, I spent Mother's Day 1995 in bed after giving birth to Nick and I remember it like yesterday!

I really am lucky. Maybe I appreciate my luck more because I lost 3 babies, but I bet you all love your kids just as much as I love mine. My children are healthy, (knock on wood), what more could I want?

If you want breakfast in bed or just an easy morning, I have a couple of recipes for you. Set it up the night before, set the timer on the coffee pot and rest easy, mama!

Banana Dressing

2 ripe medium bananas
1 cup sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Yeah, whomp it in the blender! Blend until smooth, chill until needed. Serve with fresh fruit; especially good with pineapple, melon, mango and berries. This would probably be a good dressing for a fruit salad, too. Maybe with coconut or walnuts......

I LOVE eggs benedict! This is an eggs benedict egg bake. At least keep the recipe for the hollandaise sauce, it is good on so many things, like asparagus.

Eggs Benedict Casserole

6 English Muffins
2 (10 to 12-oz) pkg Canadian Bacon (ham works just fine, too)
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Easy Hollandaise Sauce (recipe follows)

Cut the muffins into 1/2 inch cubes, set aside. Cut the bacon or ham into 1/2 inch squares, mix with muffins. Whisk the eggs with the milk and onion powder. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking oil spray, place the meat/muffin mixture in the pan. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours (overnight) to allow bread to soak up the eggs.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle paprika over top of casserole, cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving with Hollandaise sauce.

Easy Hollandaise Sauce

(Makes about 1 1/2 cups) This can be made the night before and microwaved on half power for 3-4 minutes to reheat.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 egg yolks (pasteurized is safest, but I'm cheap, so I use regular eggs)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbls lemon juice
1 tsp dijon mustard

Nuke butter until almost all melted in a glass bowl. Stir until all butter melts. Whisk yolks into butter. Stir in cream and lemon juice. Microwave uncovered on high, until just slightly thick, about 1-2 minutes, stopping every 20 seconds to stir with a fork. Remove from microwave and stir in mustard. Boiling is always bad for this sauce.

No comments: