Thursday, December 31, 2009

Party Hardy

"Party Hardy" was a message on the Recipe Czar email I received last week. Now, I am old enough to remember when "party" was only a noun ("I am going to a party"), and not a verb ("I am going to party like a rock star"). Language is a fluid thing, and I'm trying to keep up. However, "party hardy" seems wrong. I think it should be "party hearty". These are quite similar, but... Let us consult my 1977 dictionary, shall we?
Hardy: inured to fatigue or hardship, robust
Hearty: enthusiastically or exuberantly cordial, expressed unrestrainedly, exhibiting vigorous good health, abundant
So we have "Revel without tiring" or "Revel enthusiastically". I still like hearty. Too many people get confused by words which (not witch) sound similar. It annoys the pants off me when I see writers mixing up yore, your and you're. Also frequently misused: their, they're and there. These are completely different words with different meanings. Are all the writers ignoring the green underlining from spellcheck? Or are our computers not catching such misuses? I'll test it. They're is a cat. Yeah, not flagged as wrong, sigh. We are on our own. We are doomed. We are NOT smarter than fifth graders.

I'm off to party like a rock star. (If rock stars enjoy sitting on their couches with kids and watching an "Indiana Jones" movie marathon, that is.) Nick received a chocolate fountain for Christmas and we're going to give it a workout. We can think of LOTS of things to dip in chocolate!

Here is a quick appetizer recipe. Oddly, there are 3 variations of this in my archives. 2 cook the sausage, one does not. Suit you'reself. (Ha! it flagged THAT one!)

Sausage Balls (Maybe they are SHWEDDY BALLS!)

1 lb pork sausage
10 oz shredded cheddar
3 1/2 cups Bisquick

Fry sausage until brown, add cheese, stir until melted. Add Bisquick, drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheets, bake at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

YOUR soo funny Kellet!! Happy New Year! We did the same kind of thing on New Year's Eve only it was a Harry Potter marathon!