Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What will I do with myself?

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but it was finals week! I think I did okay. I even almost enjoyed the second power point. So now I can finally read for pleasure, yay! I'm so excited that I couldn't choose and now I'm reading 3 books at once. Preschool is done after Thursday, so maybe I can even quilt or scrapbook? I'm going to make the most of my Christmas break, because in January I start Genetics. I'm afraid it's going to be really hard.
Saturday was my last day of Education class. Before that I went to the Mpls. Institute of Arts to see the "Treasures of the Louvre" exhibit. I went with Deb. We paid extra for the little headsets that gave us extra information on each piece.
This painting is called "The Card-Sharp with the Ace of Diamonds" by Georges de La Tour. He painted it in the early 1600's. Look, it tells a story, the guy on the left is cheating the guy on the right at cards. Look at the women's eyes....They may be in on it! I love the stuff at the art museum. Every piece has a story. I used to volunteer and tell these stories to the kids at the elementary school.

Today's recipe is for Eggnog Pie. I apologize for the underlining, the cat stepped on the keyboard and I don't know how to turn it off.

Eggnog Pie

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbls cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1 Tbls cold water
1 Tbls butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup heavy cream, whipped past the soft peak stage, but short of stiff peaks
1 (8 or 9 inch) baked and cooled pie crust
Nutmeg for sprinkling over pie

In small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; set aside. In top of double boiler set over simmering water, scald milk. Stir in sugar mixture. Cook and stir until thick and smooth, 10-15 minutes. Continue cooking 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk a little of the cooked mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolks. Then whisk egg yolks into cooked mixture in top of double boiler. Whisk and cook custard 3 minutes longer. Let gelatin absorb water then whisk into hot custard. Whisk in butter. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl, place plastic wrap on surface and cool to room temperature. Gently fold in whipped cream in three additions. Fill pie crust, sprinkle with nutmeg and chill 3 hours.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Can't wait to hear what you end up doing on your break. I hope if you quilt, you will blog what you quilt. Whatever you do, I hope you take some time to do NOTHING too. :)