Friday, February 12, 2010

Eat My Dust!

Hiya! It has been 2 weeks since I posted, sorry about that. Genetics is all consuming! I'm just trying to get through it (I actually did well on a quiz this week), but all of a sudden instead of hating it 24/7, I found myself liking it! Then I hated it again, but there is hope. As I was learning why some plants have variegated (green AND white) leaves I remembered why I became a biology major in the first place. The biological mechanisms are so cool! There is beauty and logic and unfortunately, ALGEBRA! They slipped that in there on me in chapter 6. Luckily, all three of my guys are algebra whizzes, so I have tutors available at all times.

I have a midterm on Monday, so I'll be studying all weekend. Also, my midterm powerpoint for my other class is due Sunday. That is an education class on Native Americans. My subject is "The Significance of the Star Quilt in Native American Life". This was interesting to put together.
This is a star quilt. I've never made one, not only because they're hard, but because I don't like the way they seem to throb. They give me a headache.

How's it going at my church? Somebody is giving my boss a hard time about wanting to retire. They are very interested in who will take over for her, and not in a good way. I can't help thinking that they are horrified that I might apply. I don't know what they have against me, but the boss will always do the right thing for the school. The kids are what matters. I can't worry about it too much, all my brain cells are busy with gene deletion mapping. Not enough room for paranoia. (It is not paranoia, however, if people really ARE out to get you!)

I'm trying to make room in my head for Valentine's Day. How does that kissing thing go? Can't remember. I have filled that space with the mnemonic for the names of the scientists who discovered bacterial sex acts. (Their names are Tatum and Lederberg. To remember that I think of Ron White, the "Call me tater salad" smutty comedian- in lederhosen. On an iceberg, and then I laugh. This probably won't go over well at the test.)

Today's recipe is for Edible Dusting Powder. It's a Valentine's day treat. I have not tried this out, (yet) so don't blame me if your skin is all dyed red on Monday. (Just wear a turtleneck!)

Edible Dusting Powder

2 Tbls powdered sugar
10 red or pink PixyStix (you know, powdered candy in a straw?)

Sift together a few times until it is all mixed and fine. Apply with a cotton ball or new powderpuff. Don't forget your cleavage.

No comments: