Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Party at my house!

Saturday we had company for dinner. I know! Twice in a week! At least the oven was still clean, my Easy-off blisters are barely healed. (I need to remember to use gloves, elbow length would be best).
As you can see, I'm wearing the Joe's Crab Shack "Bite Me" t-shirt. I usually wear this as a warning to my family. They appreciate knowing when I'm in an evil mood without having to get too close. I'm not evil very often, but when I am, it's safest to just stay away. These fits don't last long, I was back to myself before my sister and her family arrived. We grilled burgers, soaked in the hot tub, and watched "Quantum of Solace".

It was so nice out that we sat on the deck for quite a while. I totally forgot the buns baking in the oven! That is a little too done... Nate drove Paul to the store for more buns. I asked Sarah to bring a side dish and I made calico beans and a pasta salad. Sarah brought calico beans and a pasta salad! (Great minds think alike).
Here Paul puts worcestershire sauce on the burgers. It's his "secret ingredient". Sarah and James are impressed. When will the trees get leaves? I have a photo of the kids in the hot tub, but the baby wasn't wearing swim trunks. Ergo, you can't see it.

I made these yummy little items for dessert. I heard about them from a relative (She posted the recipe on Facebook). Nobody I know in MN has heard of these, but they're sweeping the country. Oreo Balls! So simple and so delicious. My only complaint about oreos has always been that they're a little dry. (I hate dry food) These are like oreos that have already been chewed! Wait, that makes them sound icky. They are not icky! The cream cheese flavor is covered up by the oreos. Cream cheese and oreos, what's not to love?

Oreo Balls

1 package oreo cookies
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
1 (11 oz) pkg chocolate chips (or better quality chocolate, go nuts)
1 Tbls shortening

Grind oreos in the food processor until they are crumbs. Add cream cheese and mix. (I had to do this in 2 batches). Chill or freeze mixture until easy to handle. Roll into balls and freeze. Melt chocolate chips with shortening (nuking works great) and dip balls in melted chocolate to coat. Keep these in the refrigerator or freezer, your choice. I like the fridge.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Oreo Balls.
Too funny. A couple years ago I ran into a neighbor at Mac's, picking up burgers on her way home from a christmas cookie exchange. While waiting for our fast food, we started talking cookies & the young kid behind the register mentioned that his favorite cookies are his grandma's "mooseballs." Huh? I struggled, later, to remember the ingredients that he had rattled off to us...now I think I've got them! Thank you Thank you, Kellet!

Sue Nordquist said...

I LOVE the expression on Paul's face as he adds his secret ingredient. He looks like a French chef.