Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cuckoo or couscous?

Just Beat It...It doesn't matter who's wrong or right...just beat it! Please, get off my TV, I mean it.

I'm sorry, I used up ALL my nice on that last post. (You know how it is.) I am not understanding the worldwide outpouring of grief for Michael Jackson. I understand that he made huge contributions to the music industry. I understand that he made huge progress for people of color in the entertainment industry.

What I do not understand is why we get so wrapped up in a celebrity's life that we would cry when they die, or wish to attend the funeral of a person we do not know. John Lennon died when I was in high school. One of my friends boarded the school bus that day in tears, to my utter mystification. He did not know John Lennon personally, yet was so upset he cried all day. (I brought this up to my friend via facebook the other day. He denies knowledge of the incident.)

The exception to this would be a world leader such as the president or the Pope. The death of such a leader will have an effect on the world and people are understandably bereft. This deserves to be televised.

To my way of thinking, celebrities work for me. They make movies, or music or whatever, for my entertainment. I do not wish to know about their personal lives. I do not want to know who they are sleeping with, or what their drug of choice is. I do like to see the gowns worn at special events, but that's part of the entertainment. I do not want to see undies (or lack thereof!). I do not want to see them locked in houses together, or throwing any hissy fits. Make movies, go on talk shows, go away. Maybe that's just me. When a celebrity dies, I think, "Hmm, I'm sorry for their family", and that's it. Life is hard enough without crying for people I don't know. I also do not want to see the family grieving, that's way too intrusive.

Back to MJ. I have a hard time with celebrating the life of a man who had such a history with children. I understand he was aquitted of child molestation. I also heard him say he likes to sleep with other people's children, and he didn't see anything wrong with it. At BEST it is inappropriate (in any culture) to sleep with a stranger's child. It is confusing and NOT in the child's best interest. At worst....well, I think we know.

So the media loved it when MJ would act cuckoo, hanging babies over balconies, etc. They called him "whacko Jacko", followed him everywhere, reported on his every move and made his life a misery, for profit. Because we will pay to watch this. Now that he is dead, they are whipping up a frenzy of grief and reverence equal to the frenzy of revulsion they whipped up previously. They are doing this because they are making money off every minute of TV coverage. The poor exploited child/man is still not free. It's just too sad to watch. Call me when the "Big Red Balls" show is back on.

Other cuckoo things I've seen on TV this week: Aerosol waffle batter (is that can recyclable?) and battery operated mascara. We live in a world gone mad.

This is a recipe for a very nice summer side dish that features couscous. This is actually pasta that is as small as sand. I like this (even though it is not swimming in sauce) because it isn't dry. I hate dry food. I also hate capers (useless, expensive nasty little things) so I leave them out, but I sometimes add pine nuts, because THEY are yummy.

Lemon-Broccoli Couscous

1 (10oz) box couscous (cooked according to pkg directions)
1 bunch broccoli, broken into stems, peel and chop big stems (4 cups)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves or quarters if large
4 green onions, sliced up
1 Tbls capers
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Juice of at least one lemon (better get 2)
4 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
freshly ground black pepper

optional additions:
2 Tbls chopped fresh mint
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
chopped red pepper
radish, carrot, olives

Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Cook the broccoli (with a pinch of salt) 4-5 minutes, until broccoli is tender. Drain and rinse in cold water then finely chop broccoli. Mix it all up, adding more lemon juice, salt or oil as needed. serves 6

1 comment:

Laura said...

I agree completely!!!