Monday, July 13, 2009

Orangutans are Skeptical

"Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages...at the zoo!" That is one of my favorite Paul Simon songs. We (my boys and I) went to the zoo on Friday with my friend Christine and her boys. For some reason, the orangutans were wearing t-shirts! They are able to take them on and off by themselves, so it must be fun for them? I like orangutans, but my favorites are the little mustachioed Tamarins. Too cute!





Here we are: Chris, Cole, Nick, Caden, and Nate. We toured the zoo and then had a picnic.












One of the strange things about my photography is how often I get pictures of animal behinds. Most of the time I am trying for a face shot and they move to show me their rear, but since it started being a trend, I took the photo of the ostrich's butt on purpose. He's going to get a sunburn if he isn't careful!







Mama Lion was VERY happy to have a nice cold bone to chew on this morning. She kept carrying her meatcicle around and then stopping to lick it.











Even the penguins moon me! Is it the penguins that make this building smell so bad? We can't blame the polar bears, they are in Detroit until the new exhibit is built. I hope they are getting therapy and/or medication for that OCD thing they have going.








The big gorilla scares me, frankly. Sometimes he pounds on the glass. The last time we went to the zoo, the glass was cracked! This time, he bent over to get a drink and took our picture! More than I needed to know about Mr. Gorilla.















This is one of the adult giraffes, but the new baby giraffe was so adorable. It was not out in the yard, it was in the building, so you could see it's big brown eyes. Thank goodness this giraffe has a tail, or we would see IT'S big brown eye! (sorry)
















Don't say I never taught you anything.












I love the butterfly house. I could sit in there all day and watch the butterflies flit around. Sometimes they play classical music, which makes it even better. Unless you are a boy. A hungry boy. (sigh.) We left the butterflies and went to eat our lunch.















Butterflies like to eat flowers and fruit, apparently. Who knew?

Melon is such tasty summer food. I will share a good melon recipe with you. This looks nicest if you use a melon baller, but tastes just as good if the melons are in cubes. This is also good for a picnic or buffet, because it won't go bad and poison you!




Lime Melon Balls

1 cup water
2 Tbls sugar
1 tsp lime zest
2-3 Tbls lime juice
2 cups melon balls

Boil sugar and water, cool, add lime, pour over melon. Chill and eat. I think blueberries look especially nice with honeydew melon, so throw a few of those in if you have them.

I have heard both Rachel Ray and Giada say that "We eat first with our eyes". Must be something they make you say on the food network, but why not make it pretty?

No comments: