Thursday, August 13, 2009

NOW, It's Summer!

Baby, it's hot outside! I'm NOT complaining, it wouldn't be summer in Minnesota if the air wasn't thick enough to sleep on. Of course, we have air conditioning, so we are not suffering in any way. As a matter of fact, I went downstairs and found the boys wrapped in blankets, as the lower level is always colder than upstairs (where the thermostat is). I adjusted the thermostat so the kids wouldn't get frostbite and so we wouldn't have to give all our money to the electric company!

I'm starting to feel the end of summer coming near. I am getting the urge to can everything in sight. Today we picked chokecherries from the bikepath and I'm making syrup. You cannot imagine how good that is on waffles! Do you want the recipe for this? Not a lot of people pick wild stuff anymore (HAH! More for me!). It's only unfortunate that canning season coincides with the time of year you REALLY don't want to have a huge kettle of boiling water steaming up your house!

I was going to get so much done this summer, and I...haven't. I DID get the quilt top done for the church raffle. I didn't revamp the perennial beds, I didn't get all my recipes scanned into the computer, I DID get the koi pond in, I did read a lot of good books. (The 2 best were "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "The Time Traveler's Wife").

I didn't watch a lot of TV, thank goodness. There's nothing on! Last night I saw the most disturbing show ever, it was called "Toddlers and Tiaras" and is about child beauty pageants. It is sooo creepy to see a 25 year old showgirl's face on a 4 year old's body. It is all about makeup, spray tans (even the African-American children), fake teeth, sequined dresses and wigs bigger than the child! I'm trying to put my finger on the difference, but if these same kids put on make-up, wigs and costumes and put on a play, I'd be all for it. I think the difference is that the child knows a character in a play isn't really her. It's about a skill, acting. The beauty pageant contestant is being judged on looks. (Yeah, I saw the "talent" portion). Anyway, I hated it.

I have been waiting for hot weather to give you this recipe. It's for cookies you make in the waffle iron! See, you don't have to turn on the oven and heat up the house! But you still get cookies! I wonder if these would work in the George Forman grill? Grilled cookies, brilliant!

You go make cookies, I'm going to go lay in the hammock, drink iced tea and read a book. I' m gonna enjoy summer while it lasts.

Waffle Cookies

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tbls milk
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Oil waffle maker if needed. Preheat waffle maker. Beat butter for 30 seconds, add sugar, beat until fluffy. Add egg and milk and beat well. Combine flour and baking powder and add to wet ingredients. Mix well, stir in nuts if using. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto hot waffle maker. Close lid, bake 2 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with icing.

Icing

1/2 cup powdered sugar
several drops vanilla extract
2-3 tsp milk
-mix until smooth.

3 comments:

Sue Nordquist said...

That is so funny - I actually turned on the tv when I went to bed and saw the same show. VERY creepy. How about the mom who insisted on four coats of spray tan on her 6 year old? She looked like an oompa loompa.

Kellet Ose said...

I think that's the same mom who kept saying, MY makeup, MY hairdresser when it was the kid's. Living vicariously through a child is icky.

Laura said...

Cool recipe! Can't wait to try this one. :)