Thursday, August 27, 2009

Smooth Saling


"My name is Kellet, and I'm a purse addict". I'm a sick girl. (Not literally, I am over my virus, thank you for your well wishes).

I love purses. I love to buy them at garage sales where they are very reasonably priced. All but 4 of these handbags came from garage sales. Of those, 2 came from the Duluth Pack store (on sale) and 2 I bought at an illegal purse party! They are designer knock-offs, and were frighteningly expensive (to me) for poorly made plastic. Still, I was caught up in the madness and grabbed several ADORABLE bags and then put back all but two. Sick AND weak! I bought two more today. Mr. Ose does not understand (nor does any man) why I NEED so many of these. I must confess that last week I bought a basket meant to take a bottle of wine on a picnic and tried to use it as a purse. It was cute, but wouldn't hold a book, so I had to give it up.

This is the best (and possibly ugliest) garage sale item I have bought this year. It is a HUGE chair and matching ottoman. ($8). It does not fit in my living room AT ALL, either the decor or the size! However, the whole family loves it (including the pets) and we all fight to be the first in it after supper. Guess who never wins the race? MOM! (Somebody has to put the food away, so I always lose.)












This is last week's major score. Five sets of vintage salt & pepper shakers for 50 cents each! I collect these, adding to my grandmother's collection. The little orange dogs have a very evil expression on their faces, I'm a little scared of them.








Here is a mixed bag. The Pampered Chef Chillzanne platter was a great deal. The odd green bean slicer was not. It was supposed to french cut the beans, but instead it kind of chipped them. No good. Fifty cents down the drain!









Another bad deal, this hummingbird feeder leaked sugar water all over the deck.

















The potpourri in the basket smells like aftershave. I don't like it. Also I bought two nice bras for 75 cents each. They were almost new! It wasn't until I got home and tried them on that I noticed the extra hardware. THEY WERE NURSING BRAS! Still, they are newer than anything else I have, and comfortable!














The goofiest thing I ever found in an alley

is this throne. We use it for preschool.





This is "Chicken on a Throne" one of my favorite summer recipes. Rub a chicken with your favorite BBQ rub such as:

Citrus Rub
4 Tbls Kosher salt
4 tsps black pepper
2 Tbls lemon zest
2 tsp dried marjoram
4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground coriander

OR:

BBQ Rub
1 1/2 Tbls kosher salt
2 Tbls brown sugar
3/4 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbls paprika
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

OR just rub that chicken with Lowrey's seasoning salt. Drink half a can of beer and stuff the can (and remaining beer) up the big hole at the bottom of the chicken. Put the chicken in a pan such as an 8x8 cake pan (disposable is genius, but flimsey). The bird should balance on the beer can with the legs providing the rest of the tripod. Put this in the grill, (or oven) close lid and cook until done (160 degrees, maybe 45 minutes?). The hardest part is removing that can without spilling boiling beer. The chicken is very moist and tender, with crispy, salty skin. YUM!







I apologize for the odd set-up of today's blog. I imported a "purse" recipe thinking it would be cute, but instead it was badly behaved and won't even let me delete it. It's down below here, messing up the margins. Serves me right for trying to do it the easy way!

























Chocolate Beggar’s Purse

This is a fancy Greek dessert simplified. Inside a flaky pastry is a brownie topped with peanut butter and chocolate. The name comes from it looking like an empty purse. I serve these at dinner parties, and people are always impressed.

SERVES 8 (change servings and units)

Ingredients

Garnish

Directions

  1. 1
    Coat bottom and sides of 9x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Combine brownie mix, oil, water and eggs. Beat 50 strokes. Bake according to directions on box, 350 for 30 minutes. Cool. Cut into 8 squares.
  2. 2
    On a lightly greased baking sheet, separate dough into 8 rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. Place one brownie in the center of each rectangle.
  3. 3
    Stir peanut butter and sugar in small bowl to blend.
  4. 4
    Top brownies with 1 heaping tablespoon chocolate frosting and 1 tablespoon peanut butter mixture.
  5. 5
    Pull four corners of dough to center of chocolate mixture. Twist firmly to form top of purse.
  6. 6
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving, but serve slightly warm.
  7. 7
    When serving, cut each “purse” in half, displaying the inside. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and drizzle with chocolate syrup.

1 comment:

PNO said...

I'm impressed...clicking the links in the recipe brings one to the Kitchen Dictionary Page....hm...what is peanut butter?