Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Facebook Warning

Probably you already know this, but those interesting little games and such on the sides of the facebook pages connect to hard -to-get-out-of sites and monthly subscription charges on your phone! I clicked on one to play a quiz, answered the questions, and entered my cell number to get the results. Big mistake! This signed me up for a monthly charge of $9.99 on my phone! I had to read the fine print to find out how to unsubscribe. (Yeah, honey, I know, you told me so). Once I unsubscribed, I was on a page for matchmaking (really not interested!) that would not go away or let me go back to facebook or any other page. I had to turn the computer off to get rid of that! Pain in the a**.

Public opinion is definitely on my side in the "Do I have too many books?" poll. (It might have been cheating to poll book clubbers and teachers, but I have no shame). Kris asked me about the old children's books. I hadn't heard of the author she asked me about, but my favorites are my Dare Wright books. "The Lonely Doll" and it's sequels have photos of a doll and two teddy bears living together. I also liked the "Teeney Weeney" books that belonged to my Dad. These are about little people that live undetected in the woods in a little village. When I read these to children, I omit the racist content, though. I'm sure it wasn't considered racist in the 40's, but the "chinaman" teeney-weeney lives in a teapot and does the laundry of all the other teeney-weeneys! It is better not to mention how the character of the African-American is treated. We have come a long way, kids today accept other kids' differences much more easily than we did when I was a kid.

"All children are children finally - it hardly matters to which race and culture they belong - they belong first to the race and culture of children" Jim Fergus, (1000 White Women)

Random thing about me #6: I keep a book to list my favorite quotations in. I got the idea from Jan Karon's Mitford books in which Father Tim keeps such a book. If you like that, there are 2 books showing what he wrote down to get you started. I don't remember where I got this quote, "A house without books is a room without a soul." Marcus Tullius Cicero. Or this one:"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" Henry Ward Beecher

I read the first "Shopaholic" book. I am afraid I was very disappointed. This was recommended to me by 2 friends whose opinions I respect. I didn't like the main character at all. I thought she needed therapy and/or medication. I own this book and the sequel (surprised?) but I won't read the sequel until somebody assures me that it is better than the first one. Life is too short to read bad books.

Did you hear about our MORP queen? Morp is Anoka High School's girl-ask-guy dance. The dance was held weekend before last. (Nate did not go). It seems that the morp queen (when do they vote on this?) rented a party bus on which alcohol was consumed (everybody underage). A ruckus ensued when the school would not let drunk people in the dance. The queen was a large part of the ruckus. She bit a cop and was arrested. The story goes back and forth on whether or not she was tasered or was flashing her thong. There is a photo on Google showing her with a stripper pole. So sad! Who thought this was a good idea? If your (underage) child comes to you and says I am renting a party bus, the proper response is, "oh no, you AIN'T!" Maybe it's easy for me to say since my oldest is only 16, but I don't think I'll change my mind in two years. I am only glad that camera phones and u-tube were not around when I was young and stupid. As it is, I'll never dance in public again after seeing the photo with the big hat taken of me dancing at my mom's 60th birthday party. I was dancing as if nobody was looking......... Sadly, somebody was! and they had a camera!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard about the MORP fiasco also. My daughter was at the dance (drove herself & her date - no party bus) but she did not see the actual ruckus that occurred soon after the crowning of the morp queen. She heard that, when faculty approached the girl about her condition, she threw down her crown & ran off! Just reminded me of my philosophy about kids -- toddlers & teens are more alike than different!
p.s. i heard that it was a parent who rented the "party bus." If it were me, I'd have appointed myself the busdriver too!