Monday, February 9, 2009

Why the Sad Face(book)?

My book club ditched me! No, not Tammy book club (Kris, Sue, Laura, Gretchen and Cathy), the other one with Deb and Mary. Apparently, I did not get the e-mails that said it was canceled. So I sat there wondering what was up for half an hour. I got ahold of Mary who explained the cancellation and apologized for the mix-up. The funny thing is, I realized as I sat there that I didn't really blame them. I'd more or less been waiting for this to happen all along. (Pity party of one, your table is ready!) Of course, I eventually came to my senses and knew that two of the nicest women in the world would never hurt my feelings on purpose. If they didn't want to be in a book club with me anymore, they would say they were too busy and disband.

This is one of the other things that's wrong with me (I could write a book). I don't trust people. I don't trust them not to dog me, I don't trust them to like me. Especially not the real me. If you think I'm nice, I fooled you. I'm actually evil.

Well, not that evil, but I think evil thoughts. I'm also not as stupid as I pretend to be. Or as religious. Geeez, where was I going with this?

Right, my Facebook page. When my friend Chris told me that Facebook was fun and I should join up, I didn't believe her. My sister said she didn't have time to read my blog, but I should join Facebook so we could keep up. Then I found out all the Tammies were on it and decided to check it out. Sadly, to check it out, you have to join up all the way. Mr. Ose is totally against it, by the way. He's worried about my safety, which is darned sweet. Deluded, but sweet. Of all the things I worry about, stalkers aren't even on the list. Anyway, I sign up, I find my sister, Chris, bookclub and two other friends and I'm done. I sit back and wait for the fun to begin. Waiting for fun. Still waiting.....

OOh, wow, my cousin in Sweden wants to be my friend! Yes! this is fun. Never mind that I already have her e-mail and we don't write, now she's my FRIEND! I write on some "walls", I look for people I used to know. I lack the courage to ask them to "friend" me. They'll probably say no. I wait for fun...I hear that other people have old aquaintances coming out of the woodwork. Some people have hundreds of friends. I have 9. Nobody is looking for me. It's not as great as I was hoping. Still, I keep checking.

When I was majoring in biology in college (see? told you, not stupid) we learned that lab rats will give up on pushing the lever to get food if the food stops coming. They give up if it comes every time. (Then they only push it when hungry.) But the rats will push the lever until their little paws are sore for a random reward! All day long for the random reward! This is me and Facebook. Pathetic.

I read a good book. Okay, 4 good books. "Three Cups of Tea" was good, but slow reading for me. I find it hard to read about good people. Probably because I'm evil. I also read 3 books by Charlaine Harris. "Grave Sight", "Grave Surprise" and "An Ice Cold Grave" were all pretty good. They are about Harper Connelly, who finds dead bodies for a living. LOTS of character development here.

Also, I have a new candidate for worst commercial ever. It is for lunchmeat and features strange people on a plane. At the end, they all march out chanting, "Bang, Bang, choo-choo train, eat lunch meat on an aeroplane". I think I have suffered brain damage from this ad.

Gotta go, I might have a new facebook message!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Kellet--You got me again. Thanks so much for the day brightener. I can totally relate to your whole outlook on Facebook!! You are a riot. :)

Anonymous said...

Make that a pity party for 2 (or more?) I have a huge family - and a friend from high school with lots of mutual friends that she's been keeping in touch with on facebook. My facebook started out with a bang. But I still don't get the rules, the "applications" and, most days, the point! My 16 year old is talking me thru it, while rolling her eyes. (Yes, she let me be her friend!) Today my 30'ish single nephew declined my friend request telling me that he still loves me but that I'm "just not ready for that." The thing is, I totally understood! I don't think I'm ready for facebook! We'll talk...in person...one of these days!

PNO said...

You are not alone apparently...