Monday, January 5, 2009

I've already got one, you see

As I was faxing a copy of my work contract to a banker last week, (we're refi-ing) I noticed a little problem. I work at a church preschool, and my contract reflects that. In addition to specifying my wage and the expectation that I will behave myself, it states that the congregation is obligated to me as well. Now I like this, it makes me feel supported and connected. The problem lies in a tiny typo. The third paragraph reads: "The congregation will give you the respect, lover, goodwill and cooperation due to you...".

Yes, read that again. The congregation owes me a LOVER! Hmmmm..... Do I get to choose? (Paul says I should ask to see the new MEMBERS!) I asked the church matriarchs this as they were changing the altar cloths. Myrlette wonders if I need to see a resume. Sheryl says I cannot have hers as she has already worn him out. Luann says it is obviously a matter for the executive committee. Oops, that's a little worrisome, those jolly jokers are capable of having some guy show up at my door and announce that he is my new lover. What will Mr. Ose say then? I'll say "I've already got one, you see" in an outrageous french accent. Since Paul cracks up at Monty Python every time, I'll have time to renegotiate for maid service instead of paid lovin'. I'd much rather have someone do the dishes anyway.

I spent most of Saturday morning at Borders bookstore, deciding how to spend a gift card. I pile everything I like into a basket and then sit down and pick and choose. I write down the names of the ones I cannot buy, so I can try to get them at the library or buy them next time. This takes a long time. That's good, because it's so much fun! I poke through everything. There is a book with nothing but pictures of cats in it, with sarcastic comments supposedly made by the cats. It was so funny, but I did not buy it since I read it there.

This is a magazine about cheese. Yep, nothing but cheese! A whole magazine, with more issues to come! It's a little odd, but not awful.



This is a quilting book with cocktail recipes. Now, that's odd. I have tried to drink and quilt before, but I end up ripping out all the stitches later because I've sewn stuff on backwards or crooked.

I did buy "The Outlandish Companion". I have wanted this for a long time, but it was $30. Luckily, I had a good coupon and a gift card. Yay, now it's mine! This is a non-fiction companion volume to Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series, my favorite books of all time. There are like 7 or 8 of these books and they're huge. They are also well written and enthralling. Run to the library and get the first one, "Outlander".

Of course, if you do that, you won't want to stop reading to cook dinner. I can help you out here (only fitting, if I'm the pusher who gets you hooked on Claire and Jamie books). Try this way easy recipe. It's yummy and you can cook it three different ways. The way it's written (from Auntie Dawn's church cookbook) or at 350 for 2-3 hours (covered) or in the crockpot all day. The juice that is leftover in the pot is really soup! Add vegetables, mushrooms and barley and you've cooked 2 meals. Thin it out with broth or water if it's too thick.

Coke Roast

2-5 lb beef roast
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
pepper to taste
10 Tblsp Ketchup (2/3 to 3/4 of a cup)
1 can Coca-cola (use regular, you don't want to boil your food with all those chemicals, do you?)

Place roast in pan, sprinkle with pepper and onion soup mix. Bake in 400 degree oven for one hour. Remove from the oven and pour ketchup on meat. Pour the coke over. Cover the pan and return to the oven at 300 degrees. Bake for about 3 hours. If desired, place potatoes and carrots around the meat for the last hour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, seriously, you just keep getting better & better.
(And, maybe, if you're lucky, that's what your new church member will say too...oops, sorry, couldn't resist)

Gretchen said...

Kelet, you crack me up! Are they hiring at the preschool 'cuz I think I might want to trade-in my "lover"! The recipe sounds yummy, I'm going to give it a try!