Saturday, January 10, 2009

My condolences

My sister, Sarah, lost her father-in-law this week. Gosh, he was a great guy! He was a rare individual who knew he was blessed and appreciated his blessings. I think the entire town of Litchfield turned out for the funeral. Over 400 people came to the wake. The Pastor cried all the way down the aisle at the end of the funeral. Walter will be missed. Go and tell the people that you love how much you love them right now. I'll wait....

Did you spread some love? Good, Walt would like that. What he wouldn't have liked was the awful food served at his funeral. I couldn't eat it, and God knows I'm not picky. It is not a good sign when you can smell burnt hotdish from the choir loft. There was good cake, though. I didn't eat that either, (I'm watching my calories), but I heard it was good. My Grandma Elly made great cake. She used chocolate frosting, but at the funeral there was chocolate cake with marshmallow cream on top, covered with chocolate icing. It looked nice. I don't know who Myrna was, but she made good cake.

Myrna's Moist Chocolate Cake
(makes 1 9x13, 2 round layers or 3 doz cupcakes)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 squares melted unsweetened chocolate (OR 6 Tbls cocoa powder and 2 Tbls oil or shortening)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients and put into greased and floured pan(s). Bake a 9x13 at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Layers and cupcakes will take less time. Frost as desired.

No comments: